Friday, August 15, 2008

I want to feel my heart coming alive again...

So here I am.  I'm giving it all up.  The apartment I love and its contents...the job I hate at a beautiful hotel that allows me to afford the apartment that I love... and Los Angeles.  My home, my job, and my city all at once.  It has to be this way.  I need a break from all this familiarity.  I've worked at the same place for six years.  SIX years.  The same drive, inching along the 405 in order to get from North Hollywood to Santa Monica (nineteen miles), that takes an hour.  The same customers that feel a lovely sense of entitlement.  The same unhappy co-workers to comiserate with whom I adore.  The same question that I ask a hundred times every shift: "What can I get you to drink?".  The same, same, same.  So I've made the decision to move to Nashville, TN for awhile to get back to ME. The me who isn't cynical, the me who isn't depressed, the me who still believes, the me whose heart is open.  Most of all the me who is a creative spirit.  That spirit needs to see new possibilities, new landscapes, new people, and it's LONG overdue for an adventure.  Which is why I'm driving across the country to get my butt to Nashville.  So this blog will document this trip and the changes made in it's wake. . .

My last day at my job is Friday, August 29th.  That's two weeks from today!!  Jesus peaches, I've got a lot to do in that short amount of time!!  It's going to be a whirlwind. . .

I was really inspired by watching "Hello Dolly" recently.  I've never been a fan of musicals except for "Moulin Rouge", so I was delighted with this gem of a movie.  I wanted to see this movie after watching WALL-E, (best movie of the year btw) which uses some of the music from "Hello Dolly".  I've never seen Babs look more stunning. . .what a beauty!!  Here she is in a clip that captures what I've been feeling lately.  It's a long clip but it's really only the first 3 minutes that I'm talking about. . .






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly, as you start this new adventure, remember something that was told to me years ago and that I have found to be true....It's not the destination...it's the journey. I am so proud of you, always have been, and now as you set off on this journey I'll be reading your blog and cheering you on. Take the time to enjoy the trip....take pictures either with a camera or time spent actually enjoying the scenery. You're about to take the trip of a lifetime that I have so many years wanted to take....driving across this beautiful country. I love you, Mom.

Anonymous said...

Kelly, this is Al. What a beautiful description of your journey.You seem to be so honest with yourself. It's so refreshing ! Just remember, don't let anyone or anything rain on your parade! Life goes by way to quickly, and you have a chance to make your dreams come true. Even if they don't ------WHAT A RIDE!
You will someday cherish all what you have accomplished(being you).

Anonymous said...

I've never seen Kelly more stunning...what a beaut!!!....Kell Kell Kell!! I am always amazed by you. Your ability to be so honest, with yourself and everyone around you. You know i'm on a similar journey as you, as you helped to motivate me!! You motivate me even when I'm not with you. I was telling myself im a moment of being overwhelmed " BE BIG!! don't live small ever!! There is nothing small about you!! I fin'd that to be true of you as well. I love you and beleive in you and know that you are here to be big!!! have fun!! I will be happy to read a long the way!

Esi said...

Kelly!! First - welcome to the blogging world. I am really looking forward to reading about your new adventures. I will miss you loads while you're gone. I'm so proud of you for taking the plunge and doing what you need to get back to YOU! xo

Anonymous said...

Kelly, I can't be more proud of you! I am, in a way, jealous that you have the strength to take "the road less travelled". For many years I have wanted to take a personal journey, but have been so caught up with the daily routine. As I sit here writing this note to you I have a sense of immense joy knowing that I can live vicariously through you, but at the same time I am truly teary-eyed to know that you won't be in Los Angeles. I wish you all the best in your voyage even though I can't imagine you becoming any better than you already are. ;-) love always, Chris

Anonymous said...

Kelly, I am so very proud of you! I can't wait for our trip cross country!!! This will be an unbelievable experience for you, and unforgettable for both of us, I'm sure. I value our friendship with everything I have, and love you dearly. Two more weeks till the adventure begins! xoxo Ali