Tuesday, September 30, 2008

What a man, what a life.

The night before the news of Paul Newman's death, I was having dinner at the home of some friends. I posed one of my favorite questions to ask, when things got a little quiet at the table..."If you could pick a celebrity, past or present, to be with-who would you pick?" I answered first to get the ball rolling, and I said the same name I've always said. Paul Newman. Hands down. No competition. Not only was he the most handsome man to ever exist, in my book, but he stayed married to the same woman for fifty years, and donated millions of dollars to charity. Simply, the man got "IT". I hope to find someone just like him. Hell, I want to be just like him. The outpouring of sadness over his death reminded me of a beautiful quote that I'd heard many times but never seen demonstrated, until now.

“When you were born, you cried while the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a way that when you die, the world cries while you rejoice.” - Ancient Sanskrit saying

He truly left an imprint on this world. Isn't that what we all want to do?
I know I do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you can ever get to watch the movie with Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor, titled "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof", watch it and pay special attention to the gold bed in the bedroom scene. Your grandmother, Frankie told me that she got her bed at a studio auction in California years ago. She loved that bed and left it to me when she passed. It's the bed you'll be sleeping on when you come to visit, and the bed I've always said goes to you when I pass. She always told me that the bed was special and the other night when I was watching anything I could find about Paul Newman, I spotted the bed in a clip from that movie. She had it painted because it was worn and faded looking. In the movie it was bright gold and beautiful. Al is going to re-paint it as it looked in the movie before you get here. I can't wait to see it restored! I'm trying to find out from her ex-husband if this is that same bed. If it is, what a treasure....if not it's still identical....but I wouldn't be surprised to find that it is that bed....she always said your grandfather was her Paul Newman....thus ends the story of "Frankie & Johnny"...your grandparents.